Single handed rock climber

Born with just one right hand and only a thumb on his left hand is not restrain him to do rock climbing. Kevin Shields, 31, has mastered difficult levels of climbing grades - including ice climbing.

'The first day I tried scrambling up in Glencoe was like a door opening,' said Kevin, from Fort William. 'It felt brilliant and I decided I wanted to try rock climbing next. And when I got the hang of that, I went ice climbing, too.

"I live for climbing. I work just enough to be able to pay the bills, but I want to spend as much time in the mountains as possible. Nothing else matters at the moment."

"I don't think I am so special. Maybe kind of crazy - that's at least the reaction I get off most people. People think I must have some sort of death wish, but that is not the case at all. I only take calculated risks."

A film called Single Handed, has been made about his achievements. Directed by Paul Diffley, it premieres in Edinburgh this weekend.



Via - Metro

Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment