2009 World's Largest Pumpkin

A giant pumpkin weighing 1,725-pound (782-kilogram) was declared as the world's largest pumpkin. Christy Harp won $2,500, first place prize at the Ohio Valley Giant Pumpkin Growers annual weigh-off Saturday.

Christy who is also a Jackson Township High School math teacher said, "I kind of knew I had a good shot at the world record, but when it hit the scale … I thought I was going to pass out."

The entry topped the 1,689-pound record-holder grown in 2007 by Joe Jutras of North Scituate, Rhode Island.

This year, she and her husband Nick decided to have a little contest.

"Last year he beat me by 200 pounds. This year I beat him by 400 pounds," Harp explained. "We separate the patch and never step foot on the other side!"

The record-setting pumpkin grew as much as 33 pounds a day.

So what's her secret?

"We filled up the soil with lots of compost, coffee grounds, cow manure, and then we pick out seeds with good genetics," Harp said.

Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment