How to fix 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience' error

How many of you faced the Windows Explorer crash? How many of you have seen the error says 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience' ? I'm sure almost all of you have seen that error message whether you remember or not. But how you settle it? Maybe you have your own way to settle it. But for me, the best I can do is just by using ShellExView software.

The above error is usually caused by a bad Context Menu handler. A context menu handler is a shell extension handler that adds commands to an existing context menu (Example like cut, copy, paste, print, Scan with Antivirus etc). A poorly coded context menu handler by a software maker may be causing any of the above symptoms. As context menu handlers can be added in different areas (file class, folder, allfilesystemobjects, HKCR\* registry keys), it's a difficult task for an end-user to pinpoint which shell extension is causing the problem.


How to use ShellExView?

ShellExView is a Shell Extensions Manager. The ShellExView utility displays the details of shell extensions installed on your computer, and allows you to easily disable and enable each shell extension. It also allows you to solve Context Menu problems in Windows Explorer.

Some of the extensions have a pink background text, such as Yahoo Toolbar in a screenshot below. They are non-Microsoft extensions.



To know which one gives you problem, you must try to disable by right clicking and choose 'Disable selected items' at the extension (or press F7) one by one. Then do what usually makes the error appears. In my case here, I solved my problem after I disabled Avast. The error does not appear anymore when I browse through My Computer. So you need to test one by one to figure out. But I suggest you to disable all the non-Microsoft extensions first one by one.

Remember to re-enable back the extension as long as the problem doesn't fixed, and leave it disabled after the problem fixed.

I hope this will help. For further info and download , go to http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html . It is just a freeware. All the best :)


* Updated 23 November

- Actually , my problem with 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience' is not finish quite good with the above method. Until after i removed Rocket Dock from my desktop, i'm very satisfied with the result until now.

Maybe it's because i installed Rocket Dock and Object Dock altogether, and they are clash. Now i just leave Object Dock and uninstall Rocket Dock. You can try this method too if you don't succeed with the above method.

Amd sorry Rocket Dock, i'm just sharing here. Maybe you can use either Rocket Dock or Object Dock, but only one in a time to avoid 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience'.

Categories: ,

1 comments:

Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment
(it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I too am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for first-time blog writers? I'd genuinely appreciate it.


Also visit my web blog :: airplane game

Post a Comment